Two objectives: A Municipal Library up to Standards and the Preservation of the Roussell House

Brownsburg-Chatham, Québec, Canada
We are using Google Translate to adapt the blog from the French version. As we are volunteers, we'll try as best we can to edit the texts so they are comprehensible. Thank you for your understanding. citbrownsburg-chatham@live.ca

About Us

We are a non-partisan coalition of citizens of Brownsburg-Chatham, who have at heart the fate of our library and our architectural heritage. We believe that the library should be relocated to a bigger house, better equipped and be endowed with sufficient human resources to meet the needs of the population. The Roussell house (Principale/des Érables) is one of the last heritage building of interest to be located downtown.

The coalition has acknowledged the lack of support among the population for the relocalisation of the library in the Russell house. We now consider them as two separate files.

Luc Bélisle, Hélène Boivin, Michel Brisson, Jean Careau, Gilles Desforges, Cynthia Dubé, Anik Ferland, Pierre Gagnon, François Jobin, Sophie LaRoche, Diane Leduc, Mylène Mondou, Gilbert Poupart, Maurice Rochon, Claire Thivierge, Kathleen Wilson.

Friday, January 22, 2010

"Une triste histoire de livres"

Excerpt from a text of François Jobin published in the magazine Traces of January 2010. To read the full article (in French), click on the title of this message.


The new administration says it is not opposed in principle to a library, but the mayor is adamant: not in the Rousselle house.  First reason: the building does not bear the weight of books, wacky reason for anyone who has looked at the specifications for the project. Second reason: the lack of parking nearby, (the Rousselle house's courtyard Roussel, if amputed of a recent extension, can accommodate several cars in addition to municipal parking within fifty meters). Third reason: security. The building is located at the intersection of Main Street and des Érables, a busy intersection but fitted with stops at the four corners. From Brownsbourgeois' memory, there has never been an accident involving a pedestrian at the intersection.

And then we have other priorities, sewer, paving etc ....

When being told that culture is an asset that counts as much as asphalt and pipe, the mayor nods but adds in the same breath that he recently received two e-mails full of spelling mistakes "then the culture here You know.... " Autrement dit, la population s'en tamponne de la culture. In other words, the population doesn't care about culture. Culture is for gardens.

Some of us thought this mentality that holds the culture for a luxury that we can do without had worn out. Fifty years ago, it was comprehensible: our agricultural and factory society, less educated, thought mainly of survival. Today, do we have any excuse to use this kind of argument? Especially since the Laurentians now display the largest population growth in the province due to urban sprawl. Newcomers expect to find in their adopted village the same services as in the city they left behind, including cultural facilities. In Brownsburg-Chatham, the administration intends to keep the library where it is for one year, two years at the most. It would, however, have expressed a desire to reduce opening hours and eliminate one of three librarian positions to meet its campaign promise "not to waste your taxes." It is also trying to convince a private hockey school to settle in the village and share the costs of a library that would serve both students and the public. What interest would such an institution have to maintain in its building a public service of which hours and staff do not match hers? Go figure.

And in response to the article:

A big thanks to Mr. François Jobin, for his essay "une triste histoire de livres" The pride he has for his city is reflected in its text.

Here is my story;

I settled permanently in the pretty village of Brownsburg-Chatham in June 2009. I first met this mountain village, in summer 2007. I fell under the spell of its small streets that reminded me my childish imagination ; race buggy, toboggan runs, mini ski, slide etc.. The unevenness of the latter is quite exceptional. At this time, I feel that there is a new start, projects in the air, immersed, myself, a new citizen, am interested in novelty, my love who is today my husband, settled in the small mountain village. First thing I do! Visit the library.

Oops! A library for me is a symbol of identity for a city, a village, a region!  Upon entering, I feel no physical heat, the air is cold and wet though I note that the librarians do their utmost to make this peaceful and cozy, I see that the physical location outweighs the rest. The straight wooden chairs, like in school, are found around small desks. A smell of ice arena prevails, there are shoutings coming across the walls that separate us from the arena, I do not believe that this is the library's permanent location. I have not returned since.

Since 2008, I saw positive changes in downtown, I feel an excitement, dilapidated buildings fall, new buildings appear, concrete projects are surfacing. Hurray! My new city will again become finally a real city, as I have been told it was. Small cafes, small restaurant, new shops, a beautiful library (municipal). I see in my childish imagination, at the entrance of the city, a sign stating in golden letters of gold, "the library is proud to welcome to its new premises ..!!!! Will this vision turn out one day? Not so long ago I could believe it but now I can only hope for it. Unfortunately, I remain without an answer.

The population of Brownsburg-Chatham is entitled to an ideal management, comfortable, warm and cultural for young families who settle there .. An inviting city is a city that attracts new investors. Let's stop seeing it as an expenditure but an investment. Remember, Mr. Dinel, that fear-mongering does not affect me

P / S: I am writing this knowing full well that Mr. Dinel will judge my mistakes rather than the meaning of my text. Despite this, I have the courage to brave his judgments. I invite people to do the same. Do not be impressed by wrong judgments, even if they come from a mayor ..


Hélène Boivin

No comments:

Post a Comment