Two objectives: A Municipal Library up to Standards and the Preservation of the Roussell House

Brownsburg-Chatham, Québec, Canada
We are using Google Translate to adapt the blog from the French version. As we are volunteers, we'll try as best we can to edit the texts so they are comprehensible. Thank you for your understanding. citbrownsburg-chatham@live.ca

About Us

We are a non-partisan coalition of citizens of Brownsburg-Chatham, who have at heart the fate of our library and our architectural heritage. We believe that the library should be relocated to a bigger house, better equipped and be endowed with sufficient human resources to meet the needs of the population. The Roussell house (Principale/des Érables) is one of the last heritage building of interest to be located downtown.

The coalition has acknowledged the lack of support among the population for the relocalisation of the library in the Russell house. We now consider them as two separate files.

Luc Bélisle, Hélène Boivin, Michel Brisson, Jean Careau, Gilles Desforges, Cynthia Dubé, Anik Ferland, Pierre Gagnon, François Jobin, Sophie LaRoche, Diane Leduc, Mylène Mondou, Gilbert Poupart, Maurice Rochon, Claire Thivierge, Kathleen Wilson.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Before the Coalition - Opinion Letter

Following the council's decision not to proceed with the proposed relocation of the library, this opinion letter was sent and published in the newspaper The Watchman-Progress of November 21, 2009 and the 27 Regional November 2009.

 Reassure me, Mr. Mayor Dinel

Mr. Mayor

I say it out front, I did not vote for you. Not a matter of partisanship, it is not my cup of tea. Quite simply, I am allergic to those who criticise. You said what you will not do. But still ... What is your vision for the city of Brownsburg-Chatham?

Me and my young family have schedules that prevent us from participating in meetings of the council. That is why I proceed with a letter.

So, you have rejected the proposed library. Reassure me, is it just a matter of good management or are you simply insensitive to the importance of culture?

I moved to Brownsburg in 2005 with my spouse and this is where our children were born. I was pleased to see a wind of change. The downtown sector became entwined and more dynamic. I am eager to introduce À la table d'Hector to my friends and family, all of which are outside the Laurentians. I am happy to imagine the discoveries that will make my sons in the L'Atelier above the restaurant. I adored buying my vegetables, chocolate, honey at market at the corner of my street. I see the success of skateboard ramp. There was an announcement made of the upcoming construction of the library.

And then you arrive. End of hope for me.

The library was the first real contact I had with the city. But it is outdated and too small for the population. Brigitte, Caroline and Sharon are, they and the few books available, the only qualities of the current library. The virtues of reading are well documented. And the library is a leading player in the development of interest in reading among children. The latter (and we all actually) need a place beautiful, lively, warm, comfortable and big, with a profusion of books to discover, by looking, touching. For my part, I dream of finding new books other than the inter-library loan.

I also address myself to your colleague, Madame Paule Clotteau-Blain, who, incidentally, has got my vote. Clotteau Madam, you who had at heart to develop a family policy and work towards its implementation, the issue of the library, is it part of it? For there is no doubt in my mind.

The house previously chosen to build a new library would not be appropriate for you, Mr. Mayor. You therefore doe not consider the architectural heritage to be of importance? Beauty attracts beauty. A pleasant downtown for the eye encourages all citizens to take care of their property, not to mention the attraction that it can represent for all visitors.

Managing a city is more that balancing columns of numbers. It is creating a living environment where all senses will be filled, it is instilling a sense of belonging among citizens and give them pride to live here. Thus it will be possible to attract new residents. Yes, balancing budgets is important, but investments are still needed to reap the fruits one days. I say yes to a sound, transparent, listening to citizens. Bravo! But please, think of the long-term development of the city. I hope you will listen to the various organizations and committees working on the revitalization of downtown and involved in the development of cultural life in my adopted city, one that I hope will be the city where my children grow up.

A citizen who cares,
Cynthia Dubé

No comments:

Post a Comment